Thursday, November 6, 2008

I'm in the mood for

Shopping. Not just any shopping, but Christmas shopping.

I've made my list, checked it twice, and hope I get each one something that's just right.

First I want to make my Christmas budget really work. To do this I will
  • do a little "window" shopping and browsing to get some gift ideas and price comparisons.
  • also go early (and I mean like 5 AM or before) on the Friday after Thanksgiving sale day just in case I come across that special something for that special someone at a very special price.
  • include handmade items for some of my gifts.
  • give a monetary gift so that special someone can get something they always wanted.
  • remember that it doesn't have to be a bought gift, but a gift of action can be a blessing to someone.

Besides the gathering of gifts for my list, I also love the wrapping of each gift. I could sit all night in the middle of the floor with paper, scissors, tape, ribbons, bows, boxes, etc. and wish it would never end. (yes I am strange.)

Our family traditions for our immediate family is always special. Now that the children are grown, married and own their own, we have to kind of add and change a few things. But we are always together on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and spend time with extended family. We draw names now and put our names in as well, so the kids are not bombarded with having to buy gifts for 2 sides of their new familes. That's how I want it. The best gift I could receive from my children is for us just to all be together for a special moment to share in the Christmas spirit, enjoy a Christmas feast, read the Christmas Story and to share our blessings with others. (Of course, as the mom that I am I will have each one a special gift just for him/her from mom/dad.)

Some things we did when the kids were little were Christmas Caroling with our church, Christmas plays at church and school, Nativity scenes, nursing home and shut in visiting and taking small gifts or food, town Christmas parade where we would either be in the parade or a spectator, and that special day of going to get our Tree and decorating it. These were just simple tasks to do to help others have a joyful Christmas too.

But most important, we focus on the Reason for the Season. Because of God's Gift to us, the birth of His Son, are we able to celebrate.

How is your shopping going?

P.S. I haven't forgotten Thanksgiving.

gin

4 comments:

  1. Yes - It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas -- -

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's wonderful Christmas memories for your children

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jingle bell time is a swell time!!
    :>

    Oh, I certainly had fun shopping today for a certain stocking swap partner!!! ;> I'm not one of those that complains about Christmas stuff being out early. I love it! Everyone in the Christmas department was SMILING!

    ~ Hearts ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you're brave to go shopping the Friday after Thanksgiving! I did it once, and I'm NOT that brave! :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something!