Sunday, January 26, 2014

In the Kitchen

I've amazed myself. I usually don't do very many foodie posts. But I'm on a roll the last few weeks with it. I'm sure it won't last long. I contribute it to

  •  the polar vartex that has made it's way to the south and keeping us indoors more than normal. We tend to eat all the time when we're stuck inside.  I am so ready for summer and bar-b-q. 
  • And to Bobbie at 40 Shades of Pink for her awesomeness in foodie posts. She has a magic way with food posts. I'm a wanna be. 
Today is vegetable soup from no specific recipe. I've been making it like this forever. It's my own concoction of  just putting together ingredients I like in a soup and it seems to always come out the same -- yummy.

You see the ingredients in the picture. 
Here's a quick how-to:
Salt, pepper & flour the meat*
Brown it in small amount of oil**
Add onions and sauté***
Add tomatoes and tomato sauce
And about 1/2 can water 
Sprinkle basil and more salt &  pepper to taste 
Add vegetables
Simmer for about 20 minutes


Enjoy 


* the flour makes the soup thick and hearty
** drain oil if too much
***oops, I was completey out of fresh onion. I keep a stand by of  chopped seasoning mix (onion, celery, pepper, etc) in the freezer.  I thaw some out in the microwave on defrost. It works just fine. 

gin

4 comments:

  1. January, the perfect time for warm soup and your's looks delicious and quick. Thanks for sharing.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks Delicious ! What time is Dinner served !

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMM, that looks good. We are in a polar vortex now too. Wonder when spring will come?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soup is just about the only thing I want to eat right now! When it's in the single digits, I need something warm to eat. No salads for me this time of year haha!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something!