Saturday, January 18, 2014

The King of Cakes

The third holiday of the year is starting up.  If you count New Years Day and Valentines Day as holiday  one and two. You do count Valentines Day as a holiday don't you? There's candy,  decorations, greeting cards, dinner, flowers, gifts exchanged. Maybe no day off from work. But you still have to celebrate. 

March 4 will be Mardi Gras Day. Although  parades and carnivals start in January. 
My biggest and busiest Mardi Gras doings is the king cake.  You must get one or two every week for either home, work, birthdays, or for any reason. You don't really need a reason to get a king cake. Just get it and enjoy. 

At the bakery today they were piled everywhere in every filling you could want. 


You know there is a little baby in every cake? 

This will be our food of choice for the next 6 weeks or so. 


Deliciousness in every bite. 

5 comments:

  1. I'm trying to remember if "Fat Tuesday" is that day or if that's the day before Lent...anyway, your cakes sound yummy and fun and I always say to celebrate any time you can..life is short, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment on my blog . I had to goggle King Cake to read more about the tradition on Mardi Gras and it says the in each cake , there's a tiny baby and the one who gets it is supposed to host the next celebration.
    It sounds like a lot of fun.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes ! - My office has King Cake from now until Mardi Gras -- once every two weeks during their scheduled Board Meetings. Unfortunately, I'm NOT a fan of King-Cake - but I do enjoy admiring the interesting colors of the King-Cake.
    The King-Cake is always a big conversation piece during the Board Meetings !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love king cake! My birthday is in February and one year a friend thew me a Mardi Gras themed party with a king cake. It was so fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice cakes. We are celebrating 19th birthday this week and 41st in a couple. Lots of cakes for us too.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something!