Thursday, August 4, 2016

National Watermelon Day Yesterday

For me every week this summer has been National Watermelon Day.  A watermelon has just about every week made it to my kitchen either from the farmers market, the grocery store, or a farmers stand on the side of the road. Those you know for sure are local home grown and are the best. 
While eating watermelon everyday, all summer long, I feel like I'm doing myself a favor with a low calorie food that is good for you. The down side is a lot of bathroom trips. 
According to Medical News Today, watermelon is actually considered a nutrient dense food with a lot of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
Random Facts:
  1. Watermelon may help prevent or reduce asthma, high blood pressure, cancer, dehydration, inflammation, indigestion and muscle soreness.
  2. Watermelon is considered a fruit and vegetable.
  3. According to the Guinness World Record, the heaviest watermelon weighs 159 kg (350.5 lbs) and was grown by Chris Kent of Sevierville, Tennessee.
  4. Watermelon boosts brain power – has a source of Vitamin B6, that is necessary for normal brain function.
  5. Watermelon contains about 92% of water and 6% sugar.
In some weeks this summer I bought two watermelons. One to eat. One to carve into something. Like carving a pumpkin in the fall, I carve a watermelon in the summer. 

This years carving was an Angry Bird scene I made for a summer birthday party. 


I bought a four piece Angry Bird set. A sling shot, a watermelon, and a bag of key limes to make more pigs since the Angry Bird set only came with one pig. 



The cubed melon pieces were put together with wooden screwers and stacked up on the watermelon with loose melon cubes scattered around. The sling shot and birds set up on one end. Pig faces painted on the key limes and set around on and in the stacked melon cubes. 


Here's My Inspiration photo compared to My Version photo.


I've also carved a watermelon shark and a pirate ship in past summers. You can see the shark here.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info on watermelon...which I love but hate to chop up because of the mess! I should just let you do it because you sure have a talent for it. How clever and fun! I'm always looking for the melon that's 92% sugar and 6% water but seem to find the ones lacking in flavor. I guess I'm not a good thumper! Hope your weekend is good and now I'm craving some watermelon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also interesting about Watermelon are the following 2 additional facts:
    - the Seeds can be dried and roasted and eaten like all Nuts.
    - The rind? Think twice about throwing it out. It can be Grilled!

    I love your Watermelon Carving ! You are practicing for Pumpkin Carving !

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something!