Tuesday, March 15, 2022

The old vintage flour sack

 Hello. Do you old enough to remember the  flour sacks from years gone by? I remember them from my the years with my grandma. I am in the possession of a lot of them from my husbands grandmother. I’ve had them now for years and years. Sine are plain muslin, some have the printed brand name in them. 

Anyway, it’s high time I enjoy them. My plan “A” is to turn the vintage flour sack into a flower sack. See the comparison there - flour / flower ?

The ingredients I needed: flour sack, 5” wide burlap ribbon, 1.5” burlap ribbon, napkin with design of your choice (I’m using bunnies), flower bouquet, mod podge or Elmer’s white glue, paint brush or sponge brush, scissors, hot glue gun. I think that will do it. 

First step is to cut the napkins motif object out fussy cutting around the object, separating the layers of the fabric so you only have one layer, and use a motif that fits in the width of your wide burlap ribbon. My flour sack is 18” around, so I need about 5 or 6 bunny motifs from my napkin. 

Mod podge the napkin bunny motifs on the burlap ribbon spacing then to your desire  NOTE: you can use Elmer’s white glue in place of mod  podge, it has the same effect to adhere and seal your motif in place and also dries clear. 


You’ve made your own bunny ribbon!!! 

Lay your bunny burlap ribbon you made on the flour sack and get ready to glue it in place. I placed mine about 2-3 inches from the bottom of the flour sack. It’s better to stuff your flour sack with something so it’s not flat as you glue the ribbon in place. I stuffed mine with an old pillow stuffing, just temporary cause it’s going to be a flower sack/basket not a pillow. 


Starting on the front center,  glue the top and bottom edge of the burlap bunny ribbon you made onto the flour sack.  When finishing  it in the back,  cut off excess burlap ribbon that is not needed and glue the two ends down in a smooth finish. 




Now. At the top of the flour sack, make a cuff by folding down the top 2 tunes or so (depending how tall you want the now flower sack to be. Make the narrow 2.5” burlap ribbon into a strap about 18-22”, glue onto the insides of the cuff where the handle should be. 



Add your flowers!!! 

You will need to add something to the bottom of the sack to help it stand up. I cut a cardboard about 3”x6” to lay in the bottom to give it a flat bottom for standing. and you may want to put a flower foam thing in the bottom to stick the flowers in to keep them straight and in place. And I stuffed the flower sack with  natural color raffia. Any type bag can be used like a blank canvas bag, sew your own bag up from fabric, or try those fiber/plastic shopping bags, etc.  


Now I feel quilty and feel the need to make one for Larry’s 3 sisters so they can have one of their grandma’s flour sacks. 


Gin 


1 comment:

  1. How cute is that!! You are so clever and talented. I bet the family would love such a nice keepsake and it's perfect for Spring!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something!